Friday, October 08, 2004

women in fairy tales

My students have posted some fantastic stories of women that come from their cultures. In English/European culture, there are so many fairytales where a woman is rescued by a man: Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel. But it's interesting that the wicked person in the fairytales is often an old women. So much of what we're taught about the roles of men and women comes through stories like this that we read as children. Paula Gunn Allen talks about the stories through which her mother taught her the role of women. These included strong images of women as fire bringer, sacred bundle bringer and creator.
I loved fairy tales as a child, and I still do. But I want to be careful that I don't impart values that I disagree with to my daughter.

No comments: